Tuesday, October 12, 2010

I Tried Cow “Gizzards” in Mexico

So MT and I traveled to Playa del Carmen, Mexico this past weekend for a wedding and stayed at an All-Inclusive Resort for the first time. The beaches were gorgeous, but the All-Inclusive was OK. No matter what drink you ordered, you were getting tequila in it. Vodka and Soda please….nope, its Tequila and Soda. Even when you would watch them pour “Smirnoff” in your drink, it tasted like Tequila. Gross! I only like Tequila in one drink and that’s a Margarita. We had to scope down one of the bars that actually poured vodka in your drinks, which I basically survived on with the addition of Cerveza. Also, don’t even think about drinking the Red Wine because it was Absolutely Un-drinkably Disgusting! The food wasn’t too shabby, they definitely made some great Guacamole, Pico De Gallo, Carnitas, Roasted Chicken and Beef, but just forget about keeping down the fruit because it was unripe and tasteless.


Now I have to tell my story about Cow “Gizzards”. After the wedding ceremony, which was a beautiful set up on the beach, we ate at a Brazilian Style Restaurant on the Resort, which is basically a place that serves you a Never-Ending stream of any type of meat you can think of. We definitely had our fair share among a huge selection, but the most unforgettable were the Cow “Gizzards”. Now, if you don’t know, the cow does not have a gizzard, only birds, reptiles, and some fish have one, so what was the “Gizzard”? Well, we had a member of the table ask the waiter and all he could do was point to his head….Cow Brains? Yep….I ate Cow Brains….and I liked it! I’ve always thought, never in my life would I ever eat brain, but before knowing it was brain, I ate it. A little chewy and dense….not gamey, just interesting and tasty! On the other hand, I don’t think I’ll ever eat it again just knowing what it is, but I can now say that I’ve tried it.

6 comments:

  1. I tried looking up cow gizzards to figure out what exactly I had eaten last weekend and came across your post.

    Strangely enough... my wife and I also ate "cow gizzards" at the Sandos Fogo De Janiero in Playa del Carmen last weekend... at a wedding reception.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, had it also at Sandos Playa last week. Ate it without thinking about what it was. Feel a little bit like Andrew Zimmern now.

    And now the thoughts of Mad Cow enter my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for your comments, i work in the brazilan restaurant, and i'm sure you ate cow's neck or cow's throat, but not brains, there are a lot of waiters that don't know what they're serving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :o OMG! GOOD TO KNOW AHEAD OF TIME. :P
      THANKS

      Delete
  4. Lol, you likely ate what's known as a Molleja. It's known as Beef Sweetbread in the states. I believe it's anatomically known as the Thymus.

    Definitely not the brain, although the brain IS a dish too.

    ReplyDelete