Thursday, July 29, 2010

You Got the Right Stuff

ou got the right stuff, baby


Love the way you turn me on

You got the right stuff, baby

You’re the reason why I sing this song!

I know you are humming this song in your head right now and trying to remember the last time you heard it or maybe even what you were doing.  Yep, that's New Kid on the Block or later known as NKOTB and I'm sure you are wondering why in the world I am writing abouth them.  Well, it is because of a special event that I attended this past weekend that brought back some fond memories of my childhood. I went to my Grade School reunion and saw many of my old classmates, some who I haven’t seen in 20 years. This school was a little more unique than most of the other schools I was taught at because A. It’s a private Catholic school located in Conroe, TX and B. It was so small that we only had 13 kids (give or take 1 or 2 per year) in our grade and classroom for the 3 years that I attended in 3rd, 4th, and 6th grade. Where did the 5th go, well that’s when my family moved to Singapore for a year, so I spent it there. All 13 of us spent a great deal of time together and we had some truly fun childhood experiences, so this was one reunion that I wasn’t going to miss. (My High School reunion was gladly skipped.)  This get together was also meant to unite some of the other grades below us, so my sister, H-Town, came to the event as well, but only one other of her classmates was there.  Most of the attendees
were from our class.


The reunion was held at a charming ranch in New Waverly, TX that is owned by one of my classmate’s parents. It was the perfect backdrop for a little casual interaction with old friends. Not everyone could make the event, but we had a fairly good turn out, including our former 6th grade teacher, who still teaches at the school. I was really happy that I got to hang out with my childhood best friend, who I hardly ever see anymore.  In the future, I really want to make sure that we are better about visiting each other because she was a great part of my life when we were kids.  It’s also very surreal when you see your former grade school classmates all grown up, several with a spouse, like myself, and a few with children. Reminiscing on the good times we all had together was my favorite part of the occasion, especially when the pictures were brought out showing us in our uniforms learning attentively in the classroom, singing during choir lessons, dressed up in costumes for school plays, eating ice cream at lunch, playing around at a school carnival, and splashing around in a lake from our 6th grade graduation trip. Nothing but great recollections! We proceeded to take a tour of the property on a hay ride, which the kids really enjoyed, but the fun really got started when the kids were sent home for bed, and we all made our way to the barn! It had a dance floor and sound system. That’s all we needed to bust out the New Kids On the Block and dance the night away!  It definitely was a night to add to my Grade School memory database!
<><><> 

No comments:

Post a Comment