Friday, July 23, 2010

Let's Get Gnudi

You are probably wondering right now 'What in the world is Gnudi?' Well, first I must explain the reason for making them. I have a habit of trying to recreate a dish that I fall in love with when I eat at restaurants. During my last visit to NYC this past month, we made a stop at Spotted Pig in West Village, and they are known for their Gnudi dish. I had no idea what Gnudi was, but that wasn’t going to stop me from trying it. We ordered, we ate, and I loved. Gnudi can be described as "ravioli filling without the pasta." They are made with a mixture of ricotta, parmesan, eggs and flour (sometimes spinach), then shaped into balls, boiled and topped with a sauce. After devouring them in NYC, I was on a mission to make them when I returned home.

Now, every week once a week, I have something that I normally call Pizza Night at our house, but this week we had Gnudi Night! I always invite Paris and our other good friend/Montana’s co-worker, Valpo, over for dinner, in which I usually make Pizza or sometimes Arepas (which I’ll explain on a different posting). This time I attempted to re-craft the delicious Gnudi from Spotted Pig. I have to say it wasn’t really that close, but they turned out great! I actually added spinach to the dough and I created a different tomato sauce with ground beef. They are a little time consuming when rolling them into balls, but completely worth it. A faster way to make them is to place the dough in a ziplock bag, cut off a corner and squeeze a small amount of dough into the boiling water, repeating until the bag is empty. I will do that the next time I make them. I used a recipe from Martha Stewart as a guide, but added my own touch. Here is my version of the recipe. I hope that you like it!



Ricotta and Spinach Gnudi with Tomato Meat Sauce

• 4 oz frozen spinach

• 1 large egg

• 3/4 cup ricotta cheese

• 3/4 cup grated Asiago cheese

• 1 cup all-purpose flour

• Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper

• 2 tbsp olive oil

• ¼ cup onion, chopped

• ½ tsp salt

• 2 garlic cloves, minced

• ¼ lb ground beef

• 1 can Don Pepino’s sauce, or any other favorite pasta sauce

• 2 tbsp fresh basil, torn

• Garnish with grated Asiago cheese



• Cook frozen spinach in microwave for 1-2 minutes or until thawed. Place spinach in a clean kitchen towel or cheesecloth, and squeeze to remove any remaining liquid. Transfer to a food processor, adding the egg, cheeses, ¼ cup flour, salt and pepper. Process until well combined.

• Mound the remaining ¾ cup of flour on a cutting board. Using floured hands, gently shape 1 tablespoon spinach mixture into a small ball. Drop it into the flour, and quickly roll to coat lightly. Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to cook (at least 30 minutes).

• Meanwhile, sauté onion and salt in olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add garlic and ground beef and cook until beef is brown. Add the can of Don Pepino’s and reduce heat to low, stirring occasionally.

• Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add gnudi, and stir gently to prevent them from sticking together. Cook until gnudi rise to, and remain on, surface, about 5 minutes.

• Use a slotted spoon to remove gnudi from water and transfer to a large bowl or plate.

• Stir in 2 tablespoons gnudi cooking water and basil to tomato sauce. Take off heat. Spoon sauce over Gnudi and top with Asiago cheese. Serve and Enjoy!
Gnudi formed into balls


Gnudi in boiling water


Cooked Gnudi

Finished Product!


No comments:

Post a Comment